Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Page seven.

Will  It Ever End?



“They say God save the queen
Britannia rules the waves
Britannia’s in my genes
But Britannia called us slaves
Britannia made the borders
Cause Britannia’s forces came
Britannia lit the match
But Britannia fears the flame.”
[Lowkey – Dear England]
______________________________________________ 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.”
Albert Einstein.

This is a topic I have been meaning to touch on for some time, but had decided to put off the ‘heavier’ topics for a later date. That is, however, until I stumbled upon a beautifully worded article, written by the political-activist rapper, Lowkey. I have briefly mentioned his work in a previous post, but for those who are not familiar, I would definitely recommend checking out a few of his songs. I should clarify that I do not at all consider myself to be a fan of Lowkey – fans are for celebrities and false ‘idols,’ that spread of insecurities and false hope. No, it's more than that. I can assure you that not even one celebrity comes close to the talent, and the message, that Lowkey delivers.

For over 20 years, Tim Westwood, the three-time MOBO award winner, has been regarded by many as the DJ of UK hip-hop. Upon offering him an interview, a chance that most UK hip-hop artists would throw themselves at, Lowkey respectfully declined.

Why?

In short, Lowkey refused to play a role in the war fuelling publicity, which Westwood appers to be caught up in.

According to his blog post, Rhys Hughes, the executive producer for BBC Radio 1, has said that Westwood was sent out to Camp Bastion, in Afghanistan, because what is happening over there is essentially “a 19-year-old’s story, which is perfect for our audience.”
Photos of Westwood’s trip were also published on the website of the BBC's Radio 1xtra – including a photograph of the “Helicopter ground crew meeting” board, displaying a list of Westwood’s quotes for each day.

What was the first quote, you ask?

‘DROP A BOMB!’

Now, I don’t know about you, but the concept of war, for me, could never be sugar coated. I could never advertise a war, through music, pictures or other media sources. I mean, could this really be modern day propaganda? Jody McIntyre responded to Westwood’s ‘Quote of the day’, in an article which he wrote for the Independent, saying “The irony might be funny, if it were not for the Afghan men, women and children who have been killed and maimed by our bombs.”

And how true his words are.

Two things I learned from Lowkey’s article:

  •  “A recent study has found that, for the last 2 years running, the US military has lost more troops to suicide than it has to combat in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.”

  •  “In April 2010, an Independent on Sunday poll found that 77% of British citizens want the troops to be withdrawn from Afghanistan.”

Why are our people never heard?

Why are there no responses to these facts, from Britain? Or America?

During mid-2011, the artist known as Mic Righteous, performed on BBC radio 1xtra. His lyrics were censored; words like ‘free Palestine’ and ‘Gaza Strip,’ along with profanities, were masked with the sound of shattered glass.

Are the words ‘Palestine’ and ‘Fuckreally on par?!


Mic Righteous performing on BBC Radio 1xtra

Meanwhile, the BBC openly promote and support the war on Afghanistan.

Could this really be the start of modern day propaganda?

The article written by Lowkey can be found here.
I leave you with one of my favourite Lowkey tracks – Soundtrack To The Struggle.
If you are not a fan of hip-hop, don't worry, neither am I. But trust me. He's good.

Lowkey - Soundtrack To The Struggle.

- T -


20 comments:

  1. wow the facts about the us military losing more to suicide than to casualties in afghanistan sent shivers down my spine. I'm scared for the future :/. i really like your post and i hope to read more like it, following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I felt the same, reading that one. A man go out there with good intentions, happy. And within months, he's a traumatised, psychological mess.

      I read a quote before that's quite fitting - "An unjust peace is better than a just war." It just shouldn't be an option.

      GM x

      Delete
  2. beautiful blog. I'm returning your follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quote about suicide being the main killer is just so disturbing. btw, I love your blog-followed. hope you get the time to check mine out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know..it's awful. And that's just US troops. I cant help but wonder if it's the same for British troops. Or any other country, even.

      I had a look at your blog..It's good! Following you back :)

      GM x

      Delete
  4. I always though the BBC were totally un-biased and had a neutral view when reporting the news but the BBC and Sky news where the only channels not to broadcast the Gaza charity appeal special whislt all the others did, Lost all respect for them after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know how bad it actually was. I mean, I don't like doing really long posts, so had to condense the information. But my god, there's so much more to it.

      Will probably do a follow up in the next few weeks.

      GM x

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's not even just with war related things. There's far too much censorship..and the media have too much of an influence on society.

      GM x

      Delete
  6. It's infuriating how the media controls so much, and censors so much. There's really no such thing as an impartial voice in journalism anymore, is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The worst thing is that this is such a common occurrence. We just don't notice any of it.

      GM x

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you. And thanks for reading!

      GM x

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I should take this opportunity to be honest. I just googled 'MOAR'..haha.

      GM x

      Delete
  9. we hear what the people controlling the media want us to hear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I guess we need to start listening to things more closely..and not just at the things the media wants us to hear.

      GM x

      Delete
  10. And this is why I started going to sites like Reddit and reading blogs. These people are GENERALLY less biased and influenced by higher powers. And at least you can see some diversity in opinions and ideas here.

    I guess that's why the corporations are trying to shut down the internet. They only want themselves to be heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually a really good point. It's so aggravating. The government, media..they carry far too big an obsession with the idea of controlling people.

      The sad thing is..most people actually fall for it.

      GM x

      Delete